Friday, June 29, 2007

Ame ga furimas'! (It's raining candy!)

Wife here! Sorry, I'm being a geek... the Japanese word for rain is the same as the word for candy. (Maybe that was funnier in my head???)

The mansion flooded this morning! We left the window open last night to get some cool air in the place and woke up this morning to a wet floor... desk... microwave... and tv. Bad gaijin.

We got out of Sendai again today, heading north?? to a little city in the mountains. These were capital letter MOUNTAINS, not quite Rocky Mountain high, but certainly steep as all get out. (No, I didn't get to climb them, though the tori at the shrine were found today certainly looked scale-able.... Too bad I was wearing a skirt ; )

We had soba again for dinner tonight - different restaurant. I still haven't figured out how to slurp without getting more dipping sauce on my shirt than in my mouth. Maybe by the end of this trip??

I will say that I've figured out both extremes of Japanese toilets. You'll find both types in most public restrooms. On the one hand, you have your squatter, simple and easy to figure out how to use. On the other hand, the electronic model, has more buttons than my VCR/DVD remote control. Push one and the toilet thanks you for your visit and then makes a flushing noise without actually flushing. Push another and the seat heats up to burning. Push yet another and you get a hot (or cold!) spray of water... well, you know. Very surprising if you aren't expecting it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Leave us a message!