We were pretty excited to get out of work early on Friday and made tracks to the domestead. Once we got there, the wind was outrageous and it was COLD! Starting a fire took Jeff almost an hour, even tho he was using a new super-effecive method and then using some old tried and true methods. (Bacon candles to the rescue!)
Too cold to fight it, we crawled into our "bed" the back of the Subi and pretended to sleep until morning. Note: car-camping can be fun - but not when your feet and nose are freezing and the wind is trying to shake your car to pieces.
Morning brought sunshine - and MORE WIND. Cold, Hellacious wind. Steady 25mph wind with gusts over 50mph. Building supplies were flying all over the place. Happily, Jeff was able to get a fire started (bacon candles again :) and we had hot cocoa and Bailey's to start the day.
The plan for the weekend had been to:
- Disassemble the dome and reassemble it over a new pit being dug so I could have shade and wind cover; also keeping the dirt moist to make digging easier.
- Dig the foundation hole for the hexayurt
- Add earthbag layers to the berm using dirt from said foundation hole
- Add a row of bottles to the bathroom wall
- Add as many layers of cans / bottles as possible to the outdoor kitchen wall